Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Random Thoughts on Super Bowl Ads


Overall, the commercials during this year’s Super Bowl were really not that exciting.  Of course, there are always a few that get people talking and set social media buzzing.
One of the most talked about is the Coke ad that featured “America the Beautiful” sung in multiple languages. While I was first watching it I thought that the song was incredibly beautiful in some of those languages. I was also reminded of the old “I’d Like To Buy The World A Coke” commercial and its message of harmony.  I was completely shocked when this commercial turned out to be controversial.  I am flabbergasted by those that assumed that every non-English singing person in the ad represented a first generation immigrant who refused to learn English.  What?  My assumption was that they were bilingual.  You know, it is quite possible for someone’s family to have been in this country for many generations and yet they still know another language.  Heck, I know Spanish and to the best of my knowledge there is not a drop of Hispanic blood in me.  Get over it people!

Another commercial that caused quite a bit of buzz, but in an entirely different way, was the Budweiser puppy commercial.  I always look forward to the Budweiser Super Bowl ad, and this year they really hit a home run (oops, wrong sport).  I am a dog lover, so it made me all kinds of squishy inside. Heck, even non-dog lovers found this one adorable. I detested the Bud Light ads, but Budweiser comes thru as usual.

One of my personal favorites was the GoldieBlox ad where the little girls take all of their pink girly toys, put them on a rocket, and blast them into space.  I love that there is a company that doesn’t assume all little girls are alike in their love of pink and/or fluffy toys. When I was a little girl, I was quite stereotypical in my choice of toys, but there wasn’t a whole lot of choice way back then. Congrats to GoldieBlox and thank you for giving today’s girls greater options in their play.
So, what about you?  Were there any Super Bowl ads that really struck a chord with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. I'd love to hear from you!