Friday, June 20, 2014

Not An Early Bird

Holy cow, this has been one exhausting week! This has been my first week back in the office after working from home for 8 months. It has been great seeing all of my co-workers. I also didn’t realize how much I missed having human interaction during the day. However, trying to get used to going into the office everyday again has been hard.

The best part of working from home was that there was no commute. I now have a commute that takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the traffic. I knew that it would be a rough commute when we bought the house, but we really wanted something that was out in the boonies away from the city craziness. Luckily, after my three long road trips I have gotten really good at amusing myself on long drives.

Another thing that is tough getting used to again is the amount of time it takes to get ready in the morning. While I was working from home I got really used to just throwing on yoga pants and a t-shirt, pulling the curls into a ponytail, and sliding on my house slippers. Luckily I work in a really casual office, so I don’t have to get dressed to the 9’s every day. Still, a work casual look takes more time that a home casual look.

The hardest part is that I was in the eastern time zone when I worked from home, but my company is based in the central time zone. I matched my hours to theirs, so I didn’t even log in until 8:30. I could wake up at 8:00, shower, dress, have a leisurely breakfast and still be to work early. Now I am having to wake up at 5:30 and hit the ground running to get to the office in time. I am a night owl by nature, but I’m working on turning myself into an early bird.

If anybody has any words of wisdom on converting from a night owl to an early bird, please leave them in the comments below. I could use all the help I can get!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh...I feel you girl. I also have a 45-60 min commute each day...it stinks. I listen to audio books and podcasts and enjoy my time much more now. I think becoming an early morning person just has to suck for a few weeks and then it becomes a natural habit. Also, it helps me to lay out my clothes and pack my lunch/breakfast the night before. :) But I totally am a natural night owl...trying to convert too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audio books have saved me this week! It is amazing how much faster it goes. Clothes have really been slowing me down this week. I've got most of them unpacked, but everything is still really disorganized. I can hardly wait to get my closet set up and organized!

      Delete

Comments are always welcome. I'd love to hear from you!